CHRISTmas Tree Dream
The symbols from this dream provide a beautiful message what Christ’s birth represents and not just at Christmas time. It wasn’t by accident that I remembered a dream from May 2005 the week of Christmas 2016. The average person might say this was a coincidence, but I call it divine intervention. Being a new blogger, God knew I needed content for one of the best seasons of the year.
Christmas is a season of joy, spiritual birth, and purpose.
CHRISTmas Tree Dream:
I was on a school bus and told those around me to look up at the clouds. They were gray and were rolling in fast. I kept saying, “look at the clouds.” “Isn’t this strange?” Nobody was interested.
When I got out of the bus, the thick clouds were rushing down to earth like a waterfall. They changed to white. They were coming down from the middle of the sky and spreading across the land like a tsunami would flood the earth, but not in a destructive way.
The closer the clouds got to the earth they began flowing in a uniformed motion down streets, up driveways, and then covering each yard. They continued streaming from street-to-street, covering the entire neighborhood.
The clouds began to flow down my street and up the driveway. I looked at my front door and noticed that it was opened. I was afraid to enter alone.
I was with friends and their granddaughter. We entered their home and stopped to look at their Christmas tree. I asked them how their Christmas was. “Great,” they said.
The father picked up three gifts with black and dark brown packaging and stacked them one on top of the other. “These are the items that need to be returned to the store,” he said and proceeded to place them under the tree.
We went to my house and I was still nervous what might be inside after seeing the door pried open. We walked in and stood in front of the Christmas tree filled with lights. They were trying to figure out why I had bound the tree with a rope and a string of candy canes. I told them it was for protection.
I asked her if she saw the beautiful, white clouds rolling down, filling the valley. I told her the clouds and sky became one and the ground was no longer visible.
As they stood pondering the tree and its meaning, I carefully peeked my head into the kitchen. I was relieved nobody was around the corner. The dishwasher was running and I thought someone had started it. I put my ear up against the basement door and heard the dryer running. I had a sense I needed to hide and didn’t want them to know what I was hearing. I came back into the living room and told them what I heard without sharing my feelings that I might be hiding something.
End of dream.
1. School Bus: place of learning; teaching ministry or journey with a spiritual purpose.
2. Clouds: God’s presence. Don’t rush through these verses. Look at the results when we walk in God’s presence.
a. God’s presence filled the tabernacle in a cloud. (Exodus 40:34-38). “Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.”
b. During Israelites journey through the wilderness, God’s presence protected them with a cloud hovering over them all day. Exodus 13:21-22
c. The Lord said to Moses, “I am going to come to you in a dense cloud so that the people will hear me speaking with you and will always put their trust in you.” Exodus 19:9
d. “While Aaron was speaking to the whole Israelite community, they looked toward the desert, and there was the glory of the Lord appearing in the cloud.”
e. “Jesus said to him, “ … you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of power and coming on the clouds of heaven.” Matthew 26:24
3. Clouds moving like a waterfall: a showering and covering of the Holy Spirit. Anointing of God coming to rest upon us.
4. The clouds were spreading in an orderly fashion. God is a God of order. He roams the earth and sends His spirit where He wills. 2 Chronicles 16:9 "The eyes of the Lord search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him.” I Corinthians 14:33
5. Driveway: God’s covering hadn’t yet entered my home. I feel this represents the need for me to repent before the presence of God will invade my home. Confirmed below with the dishwasher.
6. Christmas tree (family Christmas tree):
a. Family tree/genealogy, which is represented by the couple and their granddaughter.
b. Generational sin depicted from the three dark packages (one for each). Black/dark represents sin.
c. What needed to be returned to the store (given to Christ) is our/my sin (black packaging). Repent and return to God.
d. Christmas tree also represents Christ. This symbolic message is similar to Joseph’s dream in Genesis when he saw cows, which actually represented his brothers. Jesus was bound with chains, confirming the tree represents Christ and what He did for all mankind. “The evil deeds of the wicked ensnare them; the cords of their sins hold them fast.” Proverbs 5:22
e. Christ is the gift to all.
7. Rope/candy canes:
a. The rope represents what Christ came for – to bind our sin. He took our sin upon Himself and when we receive the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, we experience His “sweet” presence (candy canes), which binds us to Him. Ephesians 2:8 and Romans 6:23
b. Two trees: Christ came for all, which is represented by the two homes, two families, and for all generations. We don’t carry the sins of our parents, nor the sins of our children. Ezekiel 18:19-20
8. The dishwasher represented the need for cleansing and the dryer represented the result of cleansing – new and fresh. 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dear Heavenly Father, I thank you for bringing to mind this beautiful message of Christmas and what Christ’s birth represents. I have a lot of joy in my heart and it’s all because of you. Thank you for the gift of your son who was willing to be bound in chains and took my sin upon Himself. I thank you that I can walk in your “sweet presence,” because Jesus chose to come to earth for me.
Lord, may your presence be my cloud by day and my fire by night; protecting, guiding, and lighting the way. I thank you that your presence is real and tangible and it’s the only way I can move forward to do what you call me to. I thank you that this dream began with a ministry. You have a purpose for me and desire to use me for kingdom purposes. I surrender myself to you. I thank you for revealing to me areas in my life that I haven’t laid at your feet. Forgive me for my sins. With you and through you, I am an overcomer. Help me to recognize when I need to “return” to you and to see my sin for what it really is. I cannot hide anything from you and I don’t need to. Psalm 19:12
I accept your free gift of love, grace, forgiveness, and salvation. Thank you, Jesus. Amen.
An additional prayer is found in I kings 8:11-12: “And the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord filled his temple. Then Solomon said, “The Lord has said that he would dwell in a dark cloud; I have indeed built a magnificent temple for you, a place for you to dwell forever.”
- There are many pieces to this dream, therefore, I approached it bit-by-bit so I wouldn’t miss anything. One may come to the conclusion that I pulled the meaning of this dream “out of thin air.” God-dreams are personal and the meaning of this dream is very special to me. Dissecting each part was the best way for God to reveal a process for my spiritual growth.
- Of utmost importance was to recognize the overall meaning represents teachings found in the Bible. 2 Timothy 3:16 is a promise the Word of God is our teacher.
- Read some of the tips to understanding our dreams for additional insight. Over the next few months, I’ll continue to add posts to help us continue learning how God uses dreams and how to interpret them.